After a number of years in private ownership, well known Leyland PD2, 154 (FJF 193) has joined the Trust’s own collection of vehicles. A Leyland PD2/1 with Leyland H33/29R, it was originally new to Leicester City Transport in December 1950. It spent almost 20 years in service with LCT before being replaced in April 1970 following the introduction of new Bristol RELL/ECW single deckers. It then spent time in Lincolnshire with Scutt of Owston Ferry and Maw of Butterwick before passing to J.Sykes (dealer) of Carlton in October 1981. It was reacquired by LCT the following month and was extensively restored in its own workshops before being re-certified as a PSV in July 1983.
It passed to First Group as part of the assets of Leicester Citybus but saw little use and was later transferred to the associated Northampton depot for storage. Saved for continued preservation at short notice by Andrew Harris in June 2008, Simon Gill acquired a half share in the bus in November 2008, prior to taking full ownership in June 2009.
In order to safeguard the long term future of the bus Simon has kindly donated FJF 193 to the Trust, where we are sure it will continue to prove popular. Simon will continue to remain actively involved with this fine example of a Leyland bodied PD2. FJF 193 will be making a visit to the Ruddington Bus Gathering on Sunday 26th July, where hopefully it will line up alongside a earlier Leicester City Transport Leyland, PD1, DJF 349.